St. James, Springfield, Missouri, was established by members of the other Episcopal churches in Springfield, St. John’s Church and Christ Church. Bishop Edward Welles appointed Roy Black, formerly a Baptist minister, to be the Licensed Lay Reader in charge.
The first service of Morning Prayer was held at the home of Mr. Black on June 14, 1959 with 28 adults and 11 children in attendance. Beginning in July services were held at the Tower Theater. In September the congregation was admitted as an organized mission. Mr. Black was ordained Deacon in November and Priest on May 23, 1960.
- Mon, 28 September September 28, 2020God gives strength to the weary and the weak. (Isaiah 40:25-31)